Spray Tan Preparation
- Shower and lightly exfoliate 24 to 6 hours before tanning. Do not injure the skin with rough exfoliation.
- Remove body hair 24 to 8 hours before your tanning session
- Skin should be clean and dry before being sprayed. Don’t apply moisturizers, deodorants, anti-pers pirants, oils, makeup or perfume before your tanning appointment. You should be completely free of all these products on the day as they can effect tan development.
- Remove jewelry and contact lenses before being sprayed.
- Wear dark and loose clothing, Wear loose shoes. Use a dark snug swimsuit or under garment to create “tan lines” [Wool, Lycra, nylon, spandex, silk might stain so be sure it is something you don’t mind ruining.]
- Style hair off at the face and neck. Use clips, rubber band, hair tire, etc…
- Wear dark loose fitting clothing for 8 hours, while tan is developing.
- Do not swim, sweat, bath or exercise for at least 8 hours – plan accordingly.
- After 6-8 hours, shower normally, and do not use exfoliates or abrasives
- Wash with a mild shower gel, preferably moisturizing, a mesh shower poof or just hands works fine.
- Some cosmetic colour will wash off in the shower. That is normal. Your tan is underneath.
- Pat dry with a towel, don’t rub dry.
- Apply a moisturizer immediately after showering on damp skin; Use approved moisturizers.
- Avoid manually exfoliating skin. Also some products can cause faster fading. These include bar soaps, Alcohol based products such as toners and astringents, acne cleansers or products that cause exfoliation such as AHAs, BHAs, Retin-A etc.
Remember! When you shower you will see some colour wash off. Don’t worry! This is normal and is only the guide colour that your spray tan technician uses when she applies your tan. You will still be left with a beautiful golden tan.
Maintaining Your Tan
It is recommended you follow these general guidelines to maintain your tan:
- Moisturize regularly using oil-free moisturizer as oily greasy creams will cause tan to fade.
- Avoid long hot baths and showers as these will speed up exfoliation.
- Pat your skin dry after a bath or shower. Rubbing your skin will rub off your tan.
- Swimming pools and sea water can reduce your tan so keep to a minimum.
Top Tanning tips
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate!! Scrub away dead skin in all of the areas that are driest like elbows, knees, ankles and wrists. Make sure that you use an oil free exfoliator – using oil based products will mean that any oils will sit on top of the skin which can make false tan look patchy.
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!! Again using an oil free moisturizer, go over your driest areas and make sure that you really work it in to your hands- this will ensure that you don’t have the orange hand look sported by many a TOWIE cast member!
- Make sure that if you need to shave or wax that this is done at least 24 hours before the application of your tan.
- When washing off don’t use a shower gel or oil. This can strip the tan leaving you back at square one.
- Exfoliate and moisturize regularly to keep the skin soft and to ensure fade off is even. This also creates a perfect base for you to re-apply your tan.